What is it?
Our nationally recognised Cycle Friendly Employer Award is for Scottish organisations committed to increasing cycling.
We developed this award with support from the Scottish Centre for Healthy Working Lives with the aim of:
• providing tools and incentives to promote cycling in the workplace
• rewarding those organisations already working hard to increase workplace cycling
• providing ‘best practice’ guidance on commuting
• providing a tool to help improve a sustainable travel plan
We will support you through each stage of the award process and provide you with resources to boost cycling further.
Want to start moving towards the award?
The step-by-step Cycle Friendly Employer process
1. Find a committed workplace ‘cycle champion’ to lead the process, this person may be you!
2. Register your organisation online here
3. Complete the short ‘yes/no answer’ online self-assessment
4. We will contact you to provide feedback or to arrange the next step
5. Once you have collected supporting evidence we will carry out a short assessment visit
6. If you’re successful your workplace will receive a framed certificate and access to a range of supporting services
Cycling Scotland works in partnership with organisations across Scotland to form a network of Cycle Friendly Service Centres. Find out more about our Cycle Friendly Service Centres.
Cycle Friendly Employer champions handbook
We designed this helpful booklet to help guide you through the award with helpful tips and recommendations along the way. Download the Cycle Friendly Employer champions handbook.
Cycling Scotland welcomes applications for the Cycle Friendly Employer Workplace Grant Fund.
Capital projects which are focused on improving cycling facilities and physical infrastructure – such as cycle parking, signage, changing facilities – are the key focus on this funding opportunity.
Grants between £5,000 and £20,000 will be considered. Lower bids may be considered where applicants can demonstrate that the measures will contribute to an increase in cycling.
Deadline – Friday the 16th of December at 5pm.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com
The Big Count
The Big Count asks you, twice a year, to visit the bike parking at your workplace and count the number of bikes there that day. It’s that simple. There are so many reasons to take part:
• we will enter you into a prize draw to win a bike;
• you will be regularly and anonymously monitoring your organisation’s rates of cycling;
• it takes 5 minutes to do;
• your organisation will be taking a step towards becoming a Cycle Friendly Employer;
• and you will be helping Scotland become a nation of cyclists.
To find out more about the Big Count follow this link or call 0141 229 5350.
Links and advice
If we cannot immediately answer your question, there is an excellent chance we know someone who can! We are a member of various groups such as the Physical Activity Health Alliance and the Physical Activity Partner Group, alongside Sustrans, JogScotland, Paths for All and SwimScotland. We have links with the Scottish Government, local authorities, regional transport partnerships and other cycling agencies as well. Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.