What is a Cycle Friendly School?
Our Cycle Friendly School Award is designed to reward the parents, teachers and volunteers around Scotland committed to increasing cycling in schools.
To assist you on your journey towards becoming a Cycle Friendly School we’ve created a CFS Champions Handbook, which you can download by clicking this link.
Our award is open to every Primary and Secondary School in Scotland and is nationally recognised. The award is designed to encourage cycling to become part of a schools culture, providing benefits such as:
• improving the children’s health;
• improving the school and surrounding environment;
• contributing towards Health Promoting School and Eco-School initiatives;
• linking in with curriculum for excellence.
The step-by-step Cycle Friendly School process:
1. Find a committed school ‘cycle champion’ to help guide your work.
2. Register your school online by clicking here.
3. Complete the quick and simple online self-assessment.
4. We will contact you to provide recommendations or simply to set up the next step.
5. We will visit your school to carry out a short assessment and provide support if needed.
6. If your school is successful you will receive a framed certificate and goodies for both pupils and staff.
Cycle Friendly Primary School Resources
• Cycle Friendly School champions handbook - A helpful book we wrote to guide you through the award with helpful tips and recommendations. Click here to download it.
• Lesson plans – We have produced eight lesson plans to help you link cycling activities to the Curriculum for Excellence. Click here to download them.
• Create a School Travel Plan – To download a word document of our School Travel Plan template please click here.
Bikeability Scotland Resources
• Cycle training resources – In partnership with Road Safety Scotland we have developed excellent resources to support the delivery of Bikeability Scotland cycle training. To find out more information and to order your resources click here.
Links and advice – If we can’t help you answer a question directly, chances are we know someone who can! Cycling Scotland are a member of the Cycling in Schools group, along with the CTC, Sustrans, EcoSchools, Learning Teaching Scotland, Scottish Cycling, Scottish Government, sportscotland, and Road Safety Scotland.
Contact Matt Wilberton - Development Officer - 0141 229 5350 firstname.lastname@example.org